Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Response to Edge and McPhee

I really enjoyed John T. Edge’s, “I’m Not Leaving until I Eat This Thing” because it was about pig lips and I didn’t even know people would eat pig lips as food. In addition, I like his style of writing and his need to experience the pig lips first hand. He starts off his essay in a narrative style then describes the process of making pig lips and other foods produced by Farm Fresh Foods in a topic style by explaining the different steps in the process. Also at the end of his story he goes back to the narrative style and how he ate a pickled pig lip. He’s really descriptive on the pig lips that you can imagine what it exactly looks like, so his imagery really helps the story. In my opinion, his profile is better than “The New York Pickpocket Academy,” by John McPhee. McPhee’s story was slightly interesting because it dealt with pick pocketing in a crowded farmers market and the different types of petty crimes that go on there. To me, this story was not interesting because you couldn’t relate to it at all unless you have experienced a pickpocket. It’s well written for a profile, but isn’t very exciting to read.

No comments: